Thursday, July 9, 2009

2-2 Icon Analysis

First, take note that an icon is merely a symbol, and that it represents something that a culture or an individual may cherish in a specific period. The icons that I have chosen are those that I have valued for some time. I’ve always been fascinated with the Italian-made Ferrari, any choice of these vehicles represent accomplishment, prestige and an elite financial status that I’ve valued in the past, some more than others. I’ve also chosen my watch as an icon. This watch is made by Tag Heuer, a watch manufacturer which can get pretty expensive ranging from around $750 to more than $25,000. Cliff Huckstable, a fictional character played by actor Bill Cosby on the 80’s family sitcom, The Cosby Show is one of the most influential black-American icons.


I remember being an 11-year old and wanting everything that a relative of mine had in his bedroom. His bedroom consisted of expensive radio controlled cars, multiple video game systems and games, sports equipment, telephones and few more items. My family maybe at one time had a Nintendo game system, but that was it. My family struggled and we could not afford such privileged items as my cousin’s mother could. One toy in particular that I remember being in his room and that I always looked for when visiting was a Nikko, radio-controlled Ferrari sports car, which I then dreamed of owning. There was also a similar photo of a real Ferrari on the wall above his bed. I thought my aunt and her sons were rich at the time. That small toy represented to me being financially stable, happy and being able to afford above average things for one’s family. Until this day I still want a Ferrari Spider, which costs around $375,000. I know in my mind that the goal of purchasing this vehicle is very reachable but the idea is more important.
Many of the people in my culture and childhood neighborhood care about things that aren’t really important or things that have no real value; material items, especially when things are purchased beyond one’s means. I purchased my watch for $950 plus tax less than 3 years ago and it never leaves my sight. It’s the most expensive item of jewelry that I’ve ever purchased, and it represents to me quality and somewhere along the lines of sophistication. Too, it stands for not conforming to ways of some of my friends’ idea of what’s important. Most people from my community value material items more than family unity, community structure and emotional support, which are the real riches in life. I feel like if I’m going to buy something expensive it better be of quality and have some value, other that street value. It would be safer to say that my watch represents quality, not quantity.
The Cosby Show, to me symbolizes what can be obtained with the right set of circumstances, outlook and motivation. This one show showed me a successful, happy and supportive structure that I lacked in my home and my community, one that was and is obtainable for any family. They had success and happiness; the American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment